A nearby plaque reads: “This statue, which depicts King Gustav II Adolf (1594-1632, king from 1611), was Sweden’s first equestrian statue, and the history of its origin is long and complicated. It was commissioned in 1757 by the Riksdag from the sculptor Pierre Hubert L’Archevêque (1721-1778). However, the Riksdag rejected his first attempt and a new statue was produced.
The complex bronze casting was not carried out until 1779. The casting process was not successful, and improvements needed to be carried out before the statue could be put into position in 1791. Another five years of work were then required before the monument could finally be unveiled on 17 November 1796.
The group on the plinth was sculpted by Johan Tobias Sergel (1740-1814), a student of L’Archevêque.”