Brugg’s reformed church is the seat of the regional church district. The oldest remaining section, a tower integrated into the town’s former defenses, was completed around 1220. Between 1479 and 1518, the building was expanded in four stages in late-gothic style with three abbeys a side chapel, and a choir. The interior layout originates from 1641 to 1642. Its modern exterior design was shaped between 1734 and 1740, when it was completely remodeled in baroque style.
Directly next to the church stands the Latin School, a three-story building, finished in a baroque style and completed around 1638-40. The school is also a part of the town’s defenses, with its back wall integrated into the town’s defensive barrier.
The front façade is covered by a brilliant and rare humanistic mural of allegorical female figures representing theology (in the photo) and the seven liberal arts; the grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music. The cartouches under the window ledges are adorned with Biblical dictums in German, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.
Latin school prepared students for university, as well as enabling those of middle class status to rise above their station.
Swiss town of Brugg is located at the confluence of the Rivers Reuss, Aare and Limmat, with the Aare flowing through the city’s old town. It is located approximately 28 km west of Zurich; and about 45 km east of Basel.
The church stands out for its original architecture, which is a mixture of different styles, from traditional Greek architecture to the Byzantine architecture and decoration of the hagiographic referring to classical antiquity. The wall of the church building is decorated with ancient inspiration and memorial. The placing of the architect is clearly to combine traditional Greek influences with the ancient Greek style, offering a bridge between the then-old – the classical era are represented by the ancient Mantinia – and again, that the modern Greek architectural tradition.
The architecture of the temple, like the classic design and performance styles of icons has caused and continues to produce conflicting criticisms, disagreements and conflicts. In the past, and even provoked the intervention of the official Church, which demanded, and eventually imposed a partial replacement of icons.
In the courtyard of the church is archaic structure, the Heroes Garden in honor of all those who fought for their country and originating from DD the City Mantinia. West of the church is the Jacob’s Well, which symbolizes the meeting of Jesus with the Samaritan woman.
The construction of the church of Agia Fotini, the nearby tourist kiosk, as well as the redevelopment and enhancement of the area of Ancient Mantineias has become the Mantineiako League “Ancient Mantinea (B & Trikorfon Dekazou 43, 2710-232586). The Mantineiakos Association was established to assist them in the custody of antiquities, the use of the site of Ancient Mantineias and closer relations between its members.