Ceský Krumlov (Bohemian Crumlaw) is a small city in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic where Ceský Krumlov Castle is located. Old Ceský Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was given this status along with the historic Prague castle district.
Construction of the town and castle began in the late 13th century at a ford in the Vltava River, which was important in trade routes in Bohemia.
Petr Kubat Photography
Český Krumlov Castle is unusually large for a town of Krumlov’s size; within the Czech Republic it is second in extent only to the Hradčany castle complex of Prague. Inside its grounds are a large rococo garden, an extensive bridge over a deep gap in the rock upon which the castle is built, and the castle itself, which in turn consists of many defined parts dating from different periods of time. After the garden was not adequately maintained during the second half of the 20th century, the site was included in the 1996 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund. With financial support from American Express the garden’s central fountain was documented and reconstructed, and is functional today.
The Archway or Arcade architecture of Southern Bohemia is here well represented. This created the first quasi indoor mall originated in Middle Ages and not in United States in the 1950’s. Designed for the shopkeepers to display their wares and for customers to shop undisturbed by the inclement weather.
The House of Tereza Förster on the left (1565) was Förster toy store, next is #19 ‘By St. George’ (1602), which used to be Karel Paral Super Drugstore, #20 ‘By Red Deer’ (later Kadlec Bakery) , #21 ‘At Golden Cellar’ (today appropriately Money Exchange) and #22 ‘At Golden Star’, now the 3 stars Pension Hradský.
I have recently seen a documentary about Southdale Center designed (1954) by Victor Grünbaum, and immigrant from Vienna. They did not mention this fact, but MeThink, this is where he got the first idea.
The Baroque ‘Samson fountain’ in front, is one of the largest of its kind in the country. The base is 17 m in diameter. Build by František Baugaut in 1727. It features sculpture of Samson on the lion.