Tag Archives: World Heritage site

Samarkand, Uzbekistan by babasteve

The historic town of Samarkand in Uzbekistan is a crossroad and melting pot of world cultures. Founded in the 7th century B.C. as ancient Afrasiab, Samarkand had its most significant development in the Timurid period from the 14th to the 15th centuries. The major monuments include the Registan Mosque and madrasas, Bibi-Khanum Mosque, the Shakhi-Zinda compound and the Gur-Emir ensemble, as well as Ulugh-Beg’s Observatory.

via http://ift.tt/1GLRfNl

St. ANNEN FLEET (new upload) by SaWagner1

St. Annen Fleet with Neuerwegsbridge . The building is the head of Block O.
Speicherstadt (warehouse district) in Hamburg is the largest founded on oak piles warehouse complex in the world. It stands since 1991 under monument protection and is registered since July 5, 2015, the neighboring Kontorhausviertel (Old for office houses ) on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Site.
(SORRY – first upload makes problems !)

St. Annenfleet mit Neuerwegsbrücke und dem Kopfgebäude von Block O
Die Speicherstadt in Hamburg ist der größte auf Eichenpfählen gegründete Lagerhauskomplex der Welt. Sie steht seit 1991 unter Denkmalschutz und ist seit dem 5. Juli 2015 mit dem benachbarten Kontorhausviertel auf der Liste des UNESCO-Welterbes eingetragen.

via http://bit.ly/1Ldltdk

Würzburg Residence II :) by michailchristodoulopoulos

Würzburg Residence
The Würzburg Residence (German: Würzburger Residenz) is a palace in Würzburg, Lower Franconia. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, representants of the Austrian/South German Baroque were involved in the construction, as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were followers of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, architect of the court of the Bishop of Würzburg, was the principal architect of the Residenz, which was commissioned by the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn and his brother Friedrich Carl von Schönborn in 1720, and completed in 1744. The Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, assisted by his son, Domenico, painted frescoes in the building.
Interiors include the grand staircase, the chapel, and the grand salon. The building was dubbed the “nicest parsonage in Europe” by Napoleon.[citation needed] It was heavily damaged during World War II, and restoration has been in progress since 1945.

via http://bit.ly/1KRcJf3

Salamanca Old Cathedral :) by michailchristodoulopoulos

The Old Cathedral (Spanish: Catedral Vieja de Santa María) is one of two cathedrals in Salamanca, Spain, the other being the New Cathedral of Salamanca.

It was founded by Bishop Jerome of Périgord, in the 12th century and completed in Romanesque/Gothic style in the 14th century. It is dedicated to Santa Maria de la Sede (Saint Mary of the See).

The apse houses a large cycle of 53 tables, 12 of which by the 15th-century Italian artist Dello Delli, depicting the life of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. A fresco of the Final Judgement is over them.

Juan Francés de Iribarren was organist at the Old Cathedral in 1717–1733.

via http://bit.ly/1DrslGn

Würzburg Residence by michailchristodoulopoulos

The Würzburg Residence (German: Würzburger Residenz) is a palace in Würzburg, Lower Franconia. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, representants of the Austrian/South German Baroque were involved in the construction, as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were followers of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, architect of the court of the Bishop of Würzburg, was the principal architect of the Residenz, which was commissioned by the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn and his brother Friedrich Carl von Schönborn in 1720, and completed in 1744. The Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, assisted by his son, Domenico, painted frescoes in the building.
Interiors include the grand staircase, the chapel, and the grand salon. The building was dubbed the “nicest parsonage in Europe” by Napoleon.[citation needed] It was heavily damaged during World War II, and restoration has been in progress since 1945.

via http://bit.ly/1UjVk3d

Würzburg Residence by michailchristodoulopoulos

The Würzburg Residence (German: Würzburger Residenz) is a palace in Würzburg, Lower Franconia. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, representants of the Austrian/South German Baroque were involved in the construction, as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were followers of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, architect of the court of the Bishop of Würzburg, was the principal architect of the Residenz, which was commissioned by the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn and his brother Friedrich Carl von Schönborn in 1720, and completed in 1744. The Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, assisted by his son, Domenico, painted frescoes in the building.

Interiors include the grand staircase, the chapel, and the grand salon. The building was dubbed the “nicest parsonage in Europe” by Napoleon.[citation needed] It was heavily damaged during World War II, and restoration has been in progress since 1945.

via http://ift.tt/1LKWC2m