Salt Spring Island’s oldest church was founded in 1878 by Father Donckele, the first Roman Catholic missionary to the Gulf islands. Erected between 1880 and 1885 by members of the community, the windows, door and bell were acquired from father Rondeault’s “Butter Church” in Cowichan Bay. The materials were brought in Indian canoes from Cowichan Bay to Burgoyne Bay, then by ox-drawn stoneboat to this site. The church was formally dedicated on May 10, 1885, by Bishop J. B. Brondel. Coloured stonework was added about 1973.