Tag Archives: Saint-Petersburg

Old Courtyard by alexanderhypelayer

Saint Petersburg’s courtyards are an important part of the city culture. The most interesting feature is their shape. You can often meet “courtyards-wells” in the city center (enclosed courtyards with houses that look like deep wells).

via http://ift.tt/1Hb76Ff

St. Petersburg. Fontanka. by VladimirKraft

Фонтанка — река в Санкт-Петербурге, протока дельты реки Невы, пересекающая центральную часть города. Длина реки — 7,6 км[1], ширина до 70 м, наибольшая глубина до 3,5 м.
Fontanka (Russian: Фонтанка) is a left branch of the river Neva, which flows through the whole of Central Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is 6,700 metres (22,000 ft) long; its width is up to 70 metres (230 ft), and its depth is up to 3.5 metres (11 ft). The Fontanka Embankment is lined with the former private residences of Russian nobility.
Ани́чков мост — один из самых известных мостов Санкт-Петербурга.
Постоянный каменный мост переброшен через Фонтанку по линии Невского проспекта в 1785 году.
Своим названием мост обязан подполковнику-инженеру Михаилу Аничкову, чей батальон во времена Петра Великого дислоцировался за Фонтанкой в так называемой Аничковой слободе.
The Anichkov Bridge (Russian: Аничков мост, Anichkov Most) is the oldest and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The current bridge, built in 1841-42 and reconstructed in 1906-08, combines a simple form with some spectacular decorations. As well as its four famous horse sculptures (1849–50), the bridge has some of the most celebrated ornate iron railings in Saint Petersburg. The structure is mentioned in the works of Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky.

via http://ift.tt/1PxpA9Y

Church of the Savior on Blood by gulich_79

Griboedov channel and Church of the Savior on Blood.Saint Petersburg. Russia
This Church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was severely wounded and died in March 1881. The construction was funded by the imperial family.
Construction began in 1883 during the reign of Alexander III. The church was dedicated to be a memorial to his father, Alexander II.
The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world.

via http://ift.tt/1YMon2D