Tag Archives: Romanesque

Mont Saint Michel by bencarrett

Located in Normandy, France. It is approximately one kilometre off the country’s northwestern coast, at the mouth of the Couesnon River near Avranches. 100 hectares (247 acres) in size, the island has a population of 44 (2009).[1]
The island has held strategic fortifications since ancient times and since the 8th century AD has been the seat of the monastery from which it draws its name. The structural composition of the town exemplifies the feudal society that constructed it: on top, God, the abbey and monastery; below, the great halls; then stores and housing; and at the bottom, outside the walls, fishermen’s and farmers’ housing.

via http://ift.tt/1NjgF9D

It’s gonna rain by videophotoart_com

A lead-grey thunderous sky over Trieste Cathedral – Italy.
The Romanesque church (Italian: Cattedrale di San Giusto), dedicated to Saint Justus, is the cathedral and main church of Trieste, in northern Italy. It is the seat of the Bishop of Trieste.

via http://ift.tt/1ZJCw0W

La iglesia de San Nicolás de Bari de Burgos by neobit

La iglesia de San Nicolás de Bari de Burgos es un templo católico situada al lado del Camino de Santiago, en la calle de Fernán González, en frente de la catedral.
Desde que la Iglesia de San Esteban fue convertida en el museo del Retablo es la sede de la parroquia de San Esteban.
Fue levantada en 1408 sobre otro templo románico. La preside uno de los retablos más impresionantes y monumentales del Arte del Renacimiento Castellano, realizado en el siglo XV en el taller de Simón de Colonia, diseñado por él y realizado por su hijo Francisco. También de gran interés son sus sepulcros góticos, el arco renacentista de María Sáez de Oña y Fernando de Mena y las tablas de la escuela burgalesa del Maestro de San Nicolás.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Iglesia de San Nicolás de Bari is a Catholic church on Calle de Fernán González in Burgos, Spain, located next to the Camino de Santiago, in front of the cathedral. Since the Church of San Esteban was turned into a museum, it has served as the seat of the parish of San Esteban. The church was built in 1408, replacing another Romanesque temple. It contains notable examples of fifteenth century Castilian Renaissance art by Simón de Colonia and his son Francisco. Also of great interest are the Gothic tombs, and the Renaissance arc by María Sáez de Oña and Fernando de Mena.

via http://ift.tt/1FhD3QN

Escalera Dorada – Catedral de Santa María de Burgos by neobit

Adosada a la pared del hastial norte de la nave del transepto, se levantó entre 1519 y 1522, una escalera para salvar el desnivel existente entre la puerta de Coronería y la nave norte del transepto. Es del tipo de las llamadas imperiales. La obra fue diseñada y realizada por el gran arquitecto Diego de Siloe, que se inspira en el proyecto que hiciera Bramante para el “Cortile del Belvedere” en Roma. El rejero francés Hilario realizó los antepechos en hierro repujado y dorado con minucioso trabajo de medallones.

via http://ift.tt/1UX9Hsy

Catedral de Santa María de la Sede de Sevilla by neobit

La catedral de Santa María de la Sede de Sevilla, better known as Seville Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Seville (Andalusia, Spain). It is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. It is also the largest cathedral in the world, as the two larger churches, the Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida and St Peter’s Basilica, are not the seats of bishops.
Seville Cathedral was built to demonstrate the city’s wealth, as it had become a major trading center in the years after the Reconquista in 1248. In July 1401 it was decided to build a new cathedral. According to local oral tradition, the members of the cathedral chapter said: “Hagamos una Iglesia tan hermosa y tan grandiosa que los que la vieren labrada nos tengan por locos” (“Let us build a church so beautiful and so grand that those who see it finished will think we are mad”). Construction began in 1402 and continued until 1506. The clergy of the parish gave half their stipends to pay for architects, artists, stained glass artisans, masons, carvers, craftsman and labourers and other expenses.
Five years after construction ended, in 1511, the dome collapsed and work on the cathedral recommenced. The dome again collapsed in 1888, and work was still being performed on the dome until at least 1903. The 1888 collapse occurred due to an earthquake and resulted in the destruction of “every precious object below” the dome at that time.
The interior has the longest nave of any cathedral in Spain. The central nave rises to a height of 42 meters and is lavishly decorated with a large quantity of gilding. In the main body of the cathedral, the most noticeable features are the great boxlike choir loft, which fills the central portion of the nave, and the vast Gothic retablo of carved scenes from the life of Christ. This altarpiece was the lifetime work of a single craftsman, Pierre Dancart.

via http://ift.tt/1ND0I0I

Capilla de la Concepción o Santa Ana – Catedral de Santa María de Burgos by neobit

This Chapel occupies the site of two earlier chapels and a small courtyard; it was built between 1477 and 1488, by the architects Juan and Simón de Colonia, and was paid for by Bishop Luis de Acuña y Osorio. In the wall of the apse there is a lavish altarpiece in the Flemish Gothic style dedicated to St Joaquin and St Anne. This is the work of Gil de Siloe, who put the finishing touches to the main section in 1492; it depicts the Tree of Jesse around the embrace of Joaquin and Anne, the parents of the Virgin Mary. The lateral sections shelter under fine porches, with numerous statues of saints and prophets, Marian scenes, hagiographies and an image of the founder bishop.

via http://ift.tt/1KQua34

Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi by neobit

Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi is a 14th-century Gothic church in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It is situated on the Plaça del Pi, in the Barri Gòtic district of the city.
There are unsubsantiated claims that there was an early Christian church on the site in 413. However it is known that in 987 there existed a church outside the city walls and to the west of Barcelona. This was a small Romanesque church dedicated to the Blessed Lady of the Pine Tree (one of the titles of the Virgin Mary). The church was built between 1319 and 1391. The style of the church was Catalan Gothic, with a single nave almost devoid of ornamentation. However in 1936 the church was gutted by a fire and was later restored.
The floor plan of the church comprises a single nave made up of seven rectangular sections, each covered with a vaulted ceiling and with side-chapels placed between the supporting pillars. The interior length of the nave is 54 metres, the width is 16.5 metres and the height is 12.2 metres. The fire of 1936 destroyed the high altar, the altarpiece, the statues, the choir stalls from 1868 and the organ created in 1808 by Johan de Kyburz.
The high altar is made of alabaster and is the work of Joaquim de Ros i de Ramis. It was installed in 1967.
In the presbytery is a statue of Santa Maria del Pi, 3.3 metres high, created in 1973 by sculptor Enric Monjo.
The original Baroque choir stalls dated from 1771 and were designed by Josep Mas i Dordal. In 1868 these were replaced by neo-gothic stalls, which were destroyed in the fire of 1936. In 1986 the previous baroque stalls were re-instated.
The original stained-glass windows have not survived. The oldest of those that exist now date from 1718. Of these, the window depicting the Adoration of the Magi (above the Door of Avemaria) is the work of Antoni Viladomat.

via http://bit.ly/1irWe01