Plazza de Armas, Cusco, Peru. During the Inca Empire the square was called Huacaypata or Aucaypata. The Cusco Cathedral to the left of frame was constructed between 1559 and completed in 1669. It is built on the site where the Inca Wiracochas Palace once stood. The southeastern side (centre of frame) is the the church of La Compania also built in the 16th century on the Inca foundations of the Palace of Huayna Capac.