Trondheim was named Kaupangen (English: market place or trading place) by Viking King Olav Tryggvason in 997. Shortly thereafter it came to be called Nidaros. In the beginning it was frequently used as a military retainer (Old Norse: “hird”-man) of King Olav. It was frequently used as the seat of the king, and was the capital of Norway until 1217.
Bakke bru Bridge over Nidelva in Trondheim . It connects Olav Tryggvason street Midtbyen with Innherredsveien at Bakklandet . There is a stålbru with two bruklaffer, listed in 1928. The bridge, designed by architect Olaf Nordhagen , has two distinctive bruvakt-house. Bruklaffene can no longer be opened, which is also not needed.
The first bridge on the site was built in the years 1886-1887. It was a lifting bridge in wood, which lay a little farther north than the current bridge.