Tag Archives: nahant ma

Calantha Sears Gazebo at Bailey’s Hill in B&W by roncalder60

On September 25, 2005, the Town of Nahant officially commemorated the completely rebuilt Bailey’s Hill Gazebo as the Calantha Sears Gazebo. The original was built for the bicentennial in 1976, and over the years had fallen into disrepair. With funding from the Woman’s Club of Nahant and collaboration with the town of Nahant, local residents contributed to its reconstruction. Besides the cement base, the only remaining piece of the original is the wooden cylinder in the center of the roof, which still bears the “1976” emblem. Bailey’s Hill was formally part of Fort Ruckman. Fort Ruckman was a U.S. Coast Artillery fort located in Nahant, Massachusetts. Originally called the Nahant Military Reservation, the fort was laid out in 1904-1907 and covered an area of about 45 acres just northwest of Bass Point, on the southwest side of the Nahant peninsula. During the 1920s, this area was renamed in honor of Maj. Gen. John Wilson Ruckman, a former Colonel in the Coast Artillery.

The fort was decommissioned after WW2 and the property was sold to the town and to private owners beginning in about 1947. The fire control tower indicated on the map was used as part of the Army/Lincoln Labs Nike program-related radar research and development during the late 1940s and early 1950s and at one point had a large radar antenna on its roof. A Nike target tracking radar was also erected on Bayley’s Hill (the eastern edge of the fort) during the 1950s.

via http://ift.tt/1Ovqcd2

Nahant Village Church, Nahant MA by roncalder60

Is the oldest church in Nahant. Sunday services were held as early as 1820 in a small stone school-house.

The first church, called the Nahant Church, was built in 1832 as a “Summer Church” for those from Boston who spent their summers in Nahant. Services were held from the first Sunday in July through Labor Day. Minister from the Boston area came to preach, including Rev. Phillips Brooks, rector of Trinity Church in Boston and author of a favorite Christmas Carol, “O Little Town of Bethlehem.”

The Nahant Church was badly damaged in a storm in the 1850s and was replaced in 1868 by the granite and wood main sanctuary that is in use today. Worship services were held in the newly built Village Church during construction.

In 1851, the year-round Protestant families built the Village Church under the name of the Independent Methodist Society; and in 1905 it became a Congregational Church affiliated with the Essex South Association of the Massachusetts Congregational Conference.

The Nahant Church and the Village Church merged in 1959 as The Nahant Village Church. and in the same year the church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.

The “new” church continued to use both buildings until the mid 1960s when the old Nahant Church building was renovated and enlarged to include new Christian Education rooms, a fellowship hall (Swansburg Hall, named after beloved pastor Rev. Ed. Swansburg), a kitchen, pastor’s study and a chapel that includes much of the furniture and the stained glass memorial windows from the old Village Church building. As Stanley Paterson put it in his book “Nahant On The Rocks,” “This was a suitable grafting of a Nahant limb onto a Boston tree.”

Today, the Nahant Village Church is an Open and Affirming congregation, and continues to be a vital congregation open to people of all faith backgrounds, offering worship, Christian Education for all ages, vocal and bell choirs, and mission and outreach programs to the community and the world.

via http://ift.tt/1OEr2VH