Tag Archives: Michael Glascock

Medieval by michaelglascock

Nestling in a meander of the river Cérou, Monestiés lies between the towns of Cordes and Carmaux in the department of the Tarn, southwest France.After the crusade against the Albigeois in 1229 the village passed into the hands of the Bishops of Albi who placed it under the protection of joint Lords of the Manor.A small hospital was built outside the walls during the 13th century to succour pilgrims using this secondary route to Santiago de Compostela.
In 2001 Monestiés was classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France:

via http://ift.tt/1NVqjkb

Relaxing Atmosphere by michaelglascock

Castelnau Montmiral was founded as an albigensian bastide in 1222 by Raymond VII, count of Toulouse, under the name “Castellum Novum Montis Mirabilis”.

During the subsequent years, the village remained an impressive stronghold. In 1345, during the Hundred Years’ War, when Edward the Black Prince invaded the Albigeois, he reportedly left without besieging the village… Later, it served as a shelter for Catholics who were fleeing from Gaillac because of the Wars of Religion. King Louis XIII visited Castelnau in June 1622, and stayed in the “Tonnac” house.

via http://ift.tt/1iA5iAb

Belltower Dungeon 13 Century by michaelglascock

The village of Lacapelle-Livron is rich in history, and boasts well-preserved remains of a Templar strong hold founded in the late eleventh century flanked by a Romanesque church and a dungeon bell tower of the thirteenth century

via http://bit.ly/1NvY7FS

Place Notre Dame…Villefranche de Rouergue by michaelglascock

Villefranche was founded in 1252 by Alphonse de Poitiers Count of Toulouse & brother to the King St Louis
The Ville is classed grand site of the Midi Pyrénées & also ville of art & history with the other (Bastides of Rouergue)

via http://bit.ly/1J0zCsF

Notre Dame de Grace by michaelglascock

Lacapelle-Livron end of the fifteenth century , A private foundation Isolated and resting on the rock, the Chapel of Our Lady of Grace overlooks the Bonnette Valley. The origin of this small building is a private funeral foundation. March 18, 1471, Catherine Gorsse, widow of Peter Pause, rich merchant of Lacapelle-Livron, newly knighted dedicates a chapel to the Virgin Mary under the title of Our Lady of Grace. This place will serve as a burial for family members of Pause de Mondésir indefinitely. While it is quite common in medieval times,for rich notables to build funeral chapels to house their family tombs, it is however rare that these buildings are raised away from the parish church or cemetery. However, in this case, Catherine Gorsse chose a dominating isolated place, away from the village of Lacapelle Livron.

via http://bit.ly/1N3LBvS