Tag Archives: Mellieha

Mellieħa by ReemtPeters

Mellieha became a parish again in 1844 after not being a parish since 1436 for fear of corsair raids. However during all this time, the sanctuary of Our Lady, the oldest in Malta, remained a center of devotion in Mellieha.

In 1883 the first stone of the new church was set and blessed by Parish Priest, Rev Francis Maria Magri and the completed church by Bishop Pietro Pace on 5th September 1897. The Parish Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was consecrated by Bishop Mauro Caruana on the 18th February 1930.

via http://ift.tt/1Vs56US

Parish Church by ReemtPeters

Mellieha became a parish again in 1844 after not being a parish since 1436 for fear of corsair raids. However during all this time, the sanctuary of Our Lady, the oldest in Malta, remained a center of devotion in Mellieha.

In 1883 the first stone of the new church was set and blessed by Parish Priest, Rev Francis Maria Magri and the completed church by Bishop Pietro Pace on 5th September 1897. The Parish Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was consecrated by Bishop Mauro Caruana on the 18th February 1930.

via http://ift.tt/1LbA0vO