The Palazzo Ducale in Genoa (in Liguria Paxo / paːʒu / contraction of the ancient term Paraxo / paɹaːʒu /) is one of the main historic buildings and art museums, once the seat of the ancient Republic staves.
Left abandoned for a long time and used as the seat of the courts in the seventies before the construction of the new courthouse Portoria, saw complete its restoration during the “Columbus celebrations” of 1992, which were commemorated Christopher Columbus and the quincentennial of the discovery of America.
Built in 1260 in Genoa, Italy the beautiful Palazzo San Giorgio or St. George Palace, also known as the Palazzo delle Compere di San Giorgio, is a major tourist attraction, not only for the architectural aspect, but also for being home of Marco Polo and where the famous explorer dictated his memoirs to Rustichello of Pisa.
The building was built by Guglielmo Boccanegra, uncle of Simone Boccanegra, the first Doge of Genoa and its construction were used materials provided by the Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII arising from the demolition of the embassy of Venice in Constantinople. It was a reward for the help of Genoa against the Latin Empire.