Tag Archives: front

Catedral de Santa María de Burgos by neobit

La Catedral de Santa María de Burgos is a Gothic-style Roman Catholic cathedral in Burgos, Spain. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is famous for its vast size and unique architecture. Its construction began in 1221 and it was in use as a church nine years later but work continued off and on until 1567. It was primarily built in the French Gothic style, although Renaissance style works were added in the 15th and 16th centuries.
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the English-born Bishop of Burgos. Construction started on the site of the former Romanesque cathedral on July 20, 1221, beginning at the chevet, which was completed in nine years.
The high altar was first consecrated in 1260, then there was a lengthy hiatus of almost 200 years before construction was recommenced. The cathedral was completed in 1567, with the completion of the lantern spire over the main crossing (which rises above a delicate openwork star vault).
The architects who directed its construction were a Frenchman in the 13th century and a German in the 15th century. In 1417, the bishop of Burgos attended the Council of Constance and returned with the master builder John of Cologne (Juan de Colonia), who completed the towers with spires of open stonework tracery.
Among the most famous of the bishops of Burgos was the 15th-century scholar and historian Alphonsus a Sancta Maria.
It had very important modifications in the 15th and 16th centuries (spires of the principal façade, Chapel of the Constable[es] by Simón de Colonia, cimborio of the transept by Juan de Vallejo: these elements of advanced Gothic give the cathedral its distinguished profile). The last works of importance (the sacristy or the Chapel of Saint Thecla) occurred during the 18th century, the century in which the Gothic statuary of the doors of the principal façade was also transformed. The principal façade is similar to the French cathedrals of Paris and of Reims. It consists of three bays topped by two lateral square towers. The steep spires are a German influence that were added in the 15th century and are the work of Juan de Colonia.
Some elements of great interest within of the cathedral are the ‘Papamoscas’ (Flycatcher), an articulated statue which opens its mouth upon the sounding of the bells every hour, the Romanesque sepulchre of Mudarra, the vengeful stepbrother of the death of the seven princes de Lara (brought to the cathedral from its original location in the Monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza due to its abandonment by alienation), the carved chairs of the choir, the sepulchre of the Bishop Mauricio, the tomb of El Cid and his wife Doña Jimena, the letter of security of El Cid and his chest.

via http://bit.ly/1MgvvQw

Arco de Santa María – Burgos by neobit

El Arco de Santa María es uno de los monumentos más emblemáticos de la ciudad de Burgos, comunidad autónoma de Castilla y León, España. Una de las antiguas doce puertas de acceso a la ciudad en la Edad Media, comunica el puente de Santa María, sobre el río Arlanzón, con la plaza del Rey San Fernando, donde se yergue la catedral.
Construido inicialmente en el siglo XIV-XV, en el siglo siguiente, concretamente entre 1536 y 1553, fue remodelado totalmente por Juan de Vallejo y Francisco de Colonia, dando lugar a la entrada realizada con la típica piedra caliza blanca burgalesa,en esta ocasión proveniente de las canteras de Hontoria de la Cantera que puede contemplarse en la actualidad. Una puerta más simple debió de existir con anterioridad, ya que el Poema del Mio Cid la cita como el punto de entrada y salida de la ciudad empleado por el Cid cuando le reclamaban sus correrías guerreras. El Arco estuvo ocupado por el Consistorio burgalés hasta la construcción de la nueva Casa Consistorial (obra de Fernando González de Lara) en el siglo XVIII. Entre los años 1878 y 1955 fue sede del Museo Arqueológico Provincial de Burgos y en 1943 fue declarado Monumento Histórico-Artístico Nacional.
La puerta fue concebida a manera de gran arco triunfal, con organización de retablo labrado en piedra y con un remate almenado a modo de castillete, lo que hace del conjunto un monumento arquitectónico bastante singular. En las seis hornacinas principales, dispuestas en dos cuerpos y tres calles, se encuentran personajes importantes de la historia de la ciudad y de Castilla: los Jueces de Castilla (Nuño Rasura y Laín Calvo); los condes Diego Rodríguez Porcelos, fundador de la ciudad, y Fernán González, primer conde independiente de Castilla; el Cid; y el emperador Carlos I, a quien dedicó la ciudad el Arco para congraciarse con él tras las revueltas comuneras.
Sobre ellos, con bultos de menor tamaño, se sitúan dos maceros municipales en los extremos de una balconada abalaustrada y el ángel custodio de Burgos sosteniendo una reproducción de la ciudad. Por encima se encuentran cuatro gárgolas que sirven de desagües. Presidiendo todo se encuentra la Virgen Santa María, patrona de Burgos como defensora de la ciudad.
El autor de las estatuas es el escultor Ochoa de Arteaga. El paramento está tachonado de aspilleras, lo flanquean dos torres cilíndricas y lo rematan cuatro escaraguaitas o garitas decorativas.
El arco está cubierto con una bóveda de crucería, accediéndose a esta bóveda por un arco de medio punto, en cuyo intradós hay restos de pinturas alegóricas del siglo XVII, en la fachada principal, y por otro trespuntado en la fachada posterior. La fachada posterior, sencilla, data del siglo XIV; en ella hay una galería de piedra bajo el tejado, sostenida por ménsulas de madera.

via http://bit.ly/1LVgmRK

Catedral de Santa María de Burgos by neobit

La Catedral de Santa María de Burgos is a Gothic-style Roman Catholic cathedral in Burgos, Spain. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is famous for its vast size and unique architecture. Its construction began in 1221 and it was in use as a church nine years later but work continued off and on until 1567. It was primarily built in the French Gothic style, although Renaissance style works were added in the 15th and 16th centuries.
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the English-born Bishop of Burgos. Construction started on the site of the former Romanesque cathedral on July 20, 1221, beginning at the chevet, which was completed in nine years.
The high altar was first consecrated in 1260, then there was a lengthy hiatus of almost 200 years before construction was recommenced. The cathedral was completed in 1567, with the completion of the lantern spire over the main crossing (which rises above a delicate openwork star vault).
The architects who directed its construction were a Frenchman in the 13th century and a German in the 15th century. In 1417, the bishop of Burgos attended the Council of Constance and returned with the master builder John of Cologne (Juan de Colonia), who completed the towers with spires of open stonework tracery.
Among the most famous of the bishops of Burgos was the 15th-century scholar and historian Alphonsus a Sancta Maria.
It had very important modifications in the 15th and 16th centuries (spires of the principal façade, Chapel of the Constable[es] by Simón de Colonia, cimborio of the transept by Juan de Vallejo: these elements of advanced Gothic give the cathedral its distinguished profile). The last works of importance (the sacristy or the Chapel of Saint Thecla) occurred during the 18th century, the century in which the Gothic statuary of the doors of the principal façade was also transformed. The principal façade is similar to the French cathedrals of Paris and of Reims. It consists of three bays topped by two lateral square towers. The steep spires are a German influence that were added in the 15th century and are the work of Juan de Colonia.
Some elements of great interest within of the cathedral are the ‘Papamoscas’ (Flycatcher), an articulated statue which opens its mouth upon the sounding of the bells every hour, the Romanesque sepulchre of Mudarra, the vengeful stepbrother of the death of the seven princes de Lara (brought to the cathedral from its original location in the Monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza due to its abandonment by alienation), the carved chairs of the choir, the sepulchre of the Bishop Mauricio, the tomb of El Cid and his wife Doña Jimena, the letter of security of El Cid and his chest.

via http://bit.ly/1Qdz9JE