Very long time is this old church connected to the school building. Both are located in Brugg’s Old Town.
Brugg’s reformed church is the seat of the regional church district. The oldest remaining section, a tower integrated into the town’s former defenses, was completed around 1220. Between 1479 and 1518, the building was expanded in four stages in late-gothic style with three abbeys a side chapel, and a choir. The interior layout originates from 1641 to 1642. Its modern exterior design was shaped between 1734 and 1740, when it was completely remodeled in baroque style.
Directly next to the church stands the Latin School, a three-story building, finished in a baroque style and completed around 1638-40. The school is also a part of the town’s defenses, with its back wall integrated into the town’s defensive barrier.
The front façade is covered by a brilliant and rare humanistic mural of allegorical female figures representing theology (in the photo) and the seven liberal arts; the grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music. The cartouches under the window ledges are adorned with Biblical dictums in German, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.
Latin school prepared students for university, as well as enabling those of middle class status to rise above their station.
Swiss town of Brugg is located at the confluence of the Rivers Reuss, Aare and Limmat, with the Aare flowing through the city’s old town. It is located approximately 28 km west of Zurich; and about 45 km east of Basel.