This Citadel was originally built by the Ottoman Empire (876-884) A.H and occupied by the French during Napoleon Bonaparte’s campaign in Egypt and Syria between 1798-1801. It stood on the left bank of the Nile a couple of kilometres north-east of Rashid (Rosetta) on the north coast of Egypt.
The Mosque-Madrassa of Sultan Hassan is a massive Mamluk era mosque and madrassa located near the Citadel in Cairo. Its construction began 757 AH/1356 CE with work ending three years later “without even a single day of idleness”. At the time of construction the mosque was considered remarkable for its fantastic size and innovative architectural components