“Carnegie Education Pavilion.
This artwork commemorates the cultural legacy of the 1996 Olympic Games and was created by utilizing original architectural components from the facade of the downtown Carnegie Central Library that was built in 1901.”
The Golden Dome was added to this building in 1882 and was most recently regilded in 2005. The regilding process uses only about a fist-full of gold leaf to cover the entire structure. Atop the Dome, you will find a 19-foot-tall, 4,000-pound statue of Mary, the Mother of God, “Notre Dame” (“Our Lady”). With this beautiful adornment, the Main Building is 187 feet tall, making it the second tallest structure on campus after the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
It is consistently ranked among the most beautiful university churches in the country and around the world
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart serves as the mother church of the Congregation of Holy Cross in the United States. It is in the Basilica that Holy Cross religious profess final vows, that seminarians are ordained priests and where deceased religious are commended to God. Likewise, it is a place of worship and prayer for students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as for regular worshipers, pilgrims and countless visitors.