Tag Archives: Chapel

Rug Chapel by gwilym-jones

Rug Chapel was built in 1637 for Colonel William Salusbury, famous Civil War defender of Denbigh Castle. A rare, little altered example of a 17th-century private chapel, it reflects the Colonel’s High Church religious views. Prettily set in a wooded landscape, the chapel’s modest exterior gives little hint of the interior where local artists and carvers were given a free reign, with some spectacular results.

via http://ift.tt/1NF0nqT

Prophet Elias chapel by andreaspy

The chapel of Prophet Elias is built on a steep cliff that dominates the area of Protaras. It was built in 1984 to replace an existing small church in Byzantine style. To reach the chapel one has to climb a steep stone staircase with 153 steps. A park has been created near the hill – where visitors can rest . It attracts both locals and tourists. In the evenings the hill to the church is floodlit and creates an exquisite sight . Every year on July 20 it is celebrated with a feast with the influx of thousands of faithful .

via http://ift.tt/1HT8sU1

Chapel by ForceMedia

An interior shot of the Italian Chapel on Lamb Holm, Orkney. An incredible story and a very beautiful place to visit if you’re ever in Orkney. All of the artwork was painted by hand by Italian prisoners of war during the second World War.

More on the story of the chapel here: Italian chapel story

Taken using my Panasonic Lumix GX7.

Find me on Facebook – Force Media Facebook
and Twitter – Force Media Twitter

via http://ift.tt/1DVbsnM

Templar Chapel by loureirogc

The Knights  Templar had played a crucial role in Portugal attaining independence in 1139. Around 1190, they had already established their headquarters in the Castle of Tomar, the largest and best preserved European Templar settlement, recognized by UNESCO as a a Worl Heritage site.
Inside its walls, visitors will find the Convent of Christ  , a combination of a fortified citadel and a monastery. It was built in 1160 under the orders of Gualdim Pais the fourth Grand Master of the Knights Templar in Portugal.
The imposing building holds a majestic octagonal round temple with a chapel – a magnificent  charola – inspired by the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem.

via http://bit.ly/1DGNj4v

Capella del Bon Consell – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Capilla del Buen Consejo con la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat presidiéndola.

De la Capilla del Buen Consejo, se tiene noticia que la primera fue construida entre los años 1379 y 1408, solo se conserva la puerta y el escudo con las armas del ayuntamiento. En cuanto al interior no se tiene noticia de su decoración pero sí del retablo de la Virgen dels Consellers, que fue encargado el 4 de septiembre de 1443 al pintor valenciano Lluís Dalmau haciendo constar en el contrato que sería:
“De bona fusta de roure de Flandes ben endrapat e enguixat.”
El 27 de noviembre se encargó a Francisco Gomar la ejecución del trabajo de la parte en madera del retablo.
La actual capilla, encargada siendo alcalde de la ciudad José María de Porcioles, está situada al lado del salón de las Crónicas y es de dimensiones muy reducidas. La decoración se encargó al escultor Enric Monjo en el año 1958, inaugurándose en 1966. Preside la capilla la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat de talla policromada y en su peana el escudo de la ciudad, sobre ella hay un crucifijo de marfil y en el gran plafón central unos grupos de imágenes representando las autoridades y los personajes tradicionales del pueblo, haciendo sus ofrendas a la Virgen. En su parte alta se encuentra el cortejo de los santos barceloneses y mercedarios, como San Olegario, San José Oriol, Santa Eulalia, San Pedro Nolasco y San Raimundo de Peñafort, entre otros. A cada lado se encuentran las cuatro virtudes cardinales, prudencia, justicia, fortaleza y templanza. En las paredes laterales también de alabastro, hay dos grandes retablos, el de la derecha representa la glorificación de la Virgen con devotos a sus pies y unos grandes grupos de ángeles y en el de la pared izquierda, la adoración a Jesús por parte de los reyes magos, pastores etc.
En el techo se aprecia un lucernario con un mosaico que representa el cielo y en su centro la mano de Dios entre las letras alfa y omega a su alrededor hay un conjunto de esculturas en madera de tilo, representando un conjunto de santos y ángeles músicos.

via http://bit.ly/1TkH3Gt

Cattedrale di Pisa by weber-wellendorf

The heart of the Piazza del Duomo is the Duomo, the medieval cathedral of the Archdiocese of Pisa, entitled to Santa Maria Assunta (St. Mary of the Assumption). This is a five-naved cathedral with a three-naved transept. The church is known also as the Primatial, the archbishop of Pisa being a Primate since 1092.

Its construction began in 1064 by the architect Busketo, and set the model for the distinctive Pisan Romanesque style of architecture. The mosaics of the interior, as well as the pointed arches, show a strong Byzantine influence.

via http://bit.ly/1MDfqDd