En las vidrieras hay escenas de la vida de Jesús y de María. Todas ellas sufrieron profunda restauración el siglo pasado. El sepulcro del muro izquierdo pertenece al obispo Diego Ramírez (1344-1354). Expresa la temática funeraria común.
Frente a esta capilla hay un fresco de Nicolás Francés, roto en el siglo XVIII para dar acceso al altar. En el hueco se colocó un lienzo del Ecce Horno, pintado por Neira en 1834. Suponemos que dicho lienzo intentó sustituir al original, en torno al cual se desarrolla toda la escena, que ocurre en el palacio de Pilato, mostrándose en todas las figuras un gran aire cortesano, rayando la caricatura.
The main façade has two towers. The southern tower is known as the ‘clock tower’. The interior represents a combination of architecture, painting, sculpture and other arts. The Renaissance retrochoir contains alabaster sculptures and the choir was built by three great artists: Jusquin, Copin of Holland and Juan de Malinas. Particularly noteworthy is the Plateresque screen in the wall behind the sepulchre of King Ordoño.
It has three portals decorated with sculptures situated in the pointed arches between the two towers. The central section has a large rose window. Particularly outstanding is the image of the Virgin Blanca and the Locus Appellatione, where justice was imparted.
Its almost 1,800 square meters of stained glass windows are one of the main touristic attractions of the cathedral. The great majority of them are original, which is a rarity, and date from the thirteenth to the fifteenth century. They are among the world’s finest stained glass works.
In the Main Chapel, there is an altarpiece by Nicolás Francés (15th century) and a silver urn containing the relics of San Froilán, the town’s Saint patron, made by Enrique de Arfe. The 13th- to 15th-century cloister contains singular sculpted details in the capitals, friezes and ledges.
The Cathedral Museum houses a large collection of sacred art. There are almost 1,500 pieces, including 50 Romanesque sculptures of the Virgin, dating from pre-historic times to the 18th century (Neoclassicism) with works by Juan de Juni, Gregorio Fernández, Mateo Cerezo, a triptych of the School of Antwerp, a Mozarabic bible and numerous codices.
The Cathedral is also one of the three most important Cathedrals on The Way of Saint James (El Camino de Santiago). Along with The Burgos Cathedral and the Cathedral in Santiago De Compostela, it is visited a lot and it is a holy worshipping place, and very sacred to the people of its city. It is one of the things that makes Leon so famous, and one of the main stops on the camino.
The cathedral was constructed between the 16th and 18th centuries and it was declared a national monument in 1887.
Note: Please, press “h” to see the screen background in black.
Brugg’s reformed church is the seat of the regional church district. The oldest remaining section, a tower integrated into the town’s former defenses, was completed around 1220. Between 1479 and 1518, the building was expanded in four stages in late-gothic style with three abbeys a side chapel, and a choir. The interior layout originates from 1641 to 1642. Its modern exterior design was shaped between 1734 and 1740, when it was completely remodeled in baroque style.
Directly next to the church stands the Latin School, a three-story building, finished in a baroque style and completed around 1638-40. The school is also a part of the town’s defenses, with its back wall integrated into the town’s defensive barrier.
The front façade is covered by a brilliant and rare humanistic mural of allegorical female figures representing theology (in the photo) and the seven liberal arts; the grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music. The cartouches under the window ledges are adorned with Biblical dictums in German, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.
Latin school prepared students for university, as well as enabling those of middle class status to rise above their station.
Swiss town of Brugg is located at the confluence of the Rivers Reuss, Aare and Limmat, with the Aare flowing through the city’s old town. It is located approximately 28 km west of Zurich; and about 45 km east of Basel.
Schönbrunn Palace is a former imperial summer residence located in Vienna, Austria. The 1,441-room Baroque palace is one of the most important architectural, cultural and historical monuments in the country. Since the mid-1950s it has been a major tourist attraction. The history of the palace and its vast gardens spans over 300 years, reflecting the changing tastes, interests, and aspirations of successive Habsburg monarchs. For further information visit Wikipedia.
Feel free to like, favorite and comment this picture.