Tag Archives: alabaster

Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi by neobit

Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi is a 14th-century Gothic church in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It is situated on the Plaça del Pi, in the Barri Gòtic district of the city.
There are unsubsantiated claims that there was an early Christian church on the site in 413. However it is known that in 987 there existed a church outside the city walls and to the west of Barcelona. This was a small Romanesque church dedicated to the Blessed Lady of the Pine Tree (one of the titles of the Virgin Mary). The church was built between 1319 and 1391. The style of the church was Catalan Gothic, with a single nave almost devoid of ornamentation. However in 1936 the church was gutted by a fire and was later restored.
The floor plan of the church comprises a single nave made up of seven rectangular sections, each covered with a vaulted ceiling and with side-chapels placed between the supporting pillars. The interior length of the nave is 54 metres, the width is 16.5 metres and the height is 12.2 metres. The fire of 1936 destroyed the high altar, the altarpiece, the statues, the choir stalls from 1868 and the organ created in 1808 by Johan de Kyburz.
The high altar is made of alabaster and is the work of Joaquim de Ros i de Ramis. It was installed in 1967.
In the presbytery is a statue of Santa Maria del Pi, 3.3 metres high, created in 1973 by sculptor Enric Monjo.
The original Baroque choir stalls dated from 1771 and were designed by Josep Mas i Dordal. In 1868 these were replaced by neo-gothic stalls, which were destroyed in the fire of 1936. In 1986 the previous baroque stalls were re-instated.
The original stained-glass windows have not survived. The oldest of those that exist now date from 1718. Of these, the window depicting the Adoration of the Magi (above the Door of Avemaria) is the work of Antoni Viladomat.

via http://bit.ly/1irWe01

Capella del Bon Consell – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Capilla del Buen Consejo con la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat presidiéndola.

De la Capilla del Buen Consejo, se tiene noticia que la primera fue construida entre los años 1379 y 1408, solo se conserva la puerta y el escudo con las armas del ayuntamiento. En cuanto al interior no se tiene noticia de su decoración pero sí del retablo de la Virgen dels Consellers, que fue encargado el 4 de septiembre de 1443 al pintor valenciano Lluís Dalmau haciendo constar en el contrato que sería:
“De bona fusta de roure de Flandes ben endrapat e enguixat.”
El 27 de noviembre se encargó a Francisco Gomar la ejecución del trabajo de la parte en madera del retablo.
La actual capilla, encargada siendo alcalde de la ciudad José María de Porcioles, está situada al lado del salón de las Crónicas y es de dimensiones muy reducidas. La decoración se encargó al escultor Enric Monjo en el año 1958, inaugurándose en 1966. Preside la capilla la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat de talla policromada y en su peana el escudo de la ciudad, sobre ella hay un crucifijo de marfil y en el gran plafón central unos grupos de imágenes representando las autoridades y los personajes tradicionales del pueblo, haciendo sus ofrendas a la Virgen. En su parte alta se encuentra el cortejo de los santos barceloneses y mercedarios, como San Olegario, San José Oriol, Santa Eulalia, San Pedro Nolasco y San Raimundo de Peñafort, entre otros. A cada lado se encuentran las cuatro virtudes cardinales, prudencia, justicia, fortaleza y templanza. En las paredes laterales también de alabastro, hay dos grandes retablos, el de la derecha representa la glorificación de la Virgen con devotos a sus pies y unos grandes grupos de ángeles y en el de la pared izquierda, la adoración a Jesús por parte de los reyes magos, pastores etc.
En el techo se aprecia un lucernario con un mosaico que representa el cielo y en su centro la mano de Dios entre las letras alfa y omega a su alrededor hay un conjunto de esculturas en madera de tilo, representando un conjunto de santos y ángeles músicos.

via http://bit.ly/1TkH3Gt