Tag Archives: ajuntament

Saló de Cent – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

This hall was meant to be a meeting room for the Council of One Hundred Jurors. It was designed by the master builder Pere Llobet in 1369. A marble tablet located at the far end informs us that King Peter m celebrated his first meeting here with the Council of One Hundred on August 17,1373. Originally a rectangular hall was planned, covered by a flat beamed ceiling, divided by two stone arches. Light filtered in through one huge stained glass rose window and several smaller ones. This magnificent room underwent several reforms in the course of time which modified its original physiognomy, adding some elements or restoring others, as occurred after the bombing in 1842 that caused serious damage. The most recent reform took place in the first years of the 20th century when the gothic seats were constructed and an alabaster altarpiece was designed by Enric Monserdá. It depicts the city coat of arms flanked by two mace-bearers and sculptures of Joan Fiveller, St. Andrew, the Virgin of Mercy, St. Eulalia, the Book of Privileges and Rafael Casanova.
On the walls are sculptures of King James I and St. George, works of Manuel Fuxá. The floor tiles are decorated with symbols of the guilds and with the city coat of arms.
At the far end is the magnificently decorated door to the “Trentenari” (Hall of Thirty).

via http://ift.tt/1fDY5Na

Saló de Cent – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

This hall was meant to be a meeting room for the Council of One Hundred Jurors. It was designed by the master builder Pere Llobet in 1369. A marble tablet located at the far end informs us that King Peter m celebrated his first meeting here with the Council of One Hundred on August 17,1373. Originally a rectangular hall was planned, covered by a flat beamed ceiling, divided by two stone arches. Light filtered in through one huge stained glass rose window and several smaller ones. This magnificent room underwent several reforms in the course of time which modified its original physiognomy, adding some elements or restoring others, as occurred after the bombing in 1842 that caused serious damage. The most recent reform took place in the first years of the 20th century when the gothic seats were constructed and an alabaster altarpiece was designed by Enric Monserdá. It depicts the city coat of arms flanked by two mace-bearers and sculptures of Joan Fiveller, St. Andrew, the Virgin of Mercy, St. Eulalia, the Book of Privileges and Rafael Casanova.
On the walls are sculptures of King James I and St. George, works of Manuel Fuxá. The floor tiles are decorated with symbols of the guilds and with the city coat of arms.
At the far end is the magnificently decorated door to the “Trentenari” (Hall of Thirty).

via http://ift.tt/1Jaa93m

Saló de la Reina Regent – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Room of the Queen Regent

Situated next to the “Saló de Cent”, it was designed by Francesc Daniel Molina in 1860. At present it used for plenary meetings. Shaped in the form of a semicircle, the ceiling is half-dome with a stained glass covering.
The presidential table is surrounded by 50 seats divided in two blocks, and there are two galleries for the public and the press. The room is decorated with two bronze candelabra, a portrait of Maria Cristina, the Queen Regent, and her son Alfonso XIII as a child, a bust of King Jan Carlos I, and in the niches, two marble statues depicting St. George and St. Eulalia by Josep Viladomat.

via http://ift.tt/1HXM4J7

Saló de la Reina Regent – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Room of the Queen Regent

Situated next to the “Saló de Cent”, it was designed by Francesc Daniel Molina in 1860. At present it used for plenary meetings. Shaped in the form of a semicircle, the ceiling is half-dome with a stained glass covering.
The presidential table is surrounded by 50 seats divided in two blocks, and there are two galleries for the public and the press. The room is decorated with two bronze candelabra, a portrait of Maria Cristina, the Queen Regent, and her son Alfonso XIII as a child, a bust of King Jan Carlos I, and in the niches, two marble statues depicting St. George and St. Eulalia by Josep Viladomat.

via http://ift.tt/1Jf0slF

Saló de Cròniques – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Hall of Chronicles
Noteworthy for its walls decorated by Josep Maria Sert.
Its name refers to the histones or chronicles written by Ramon Muntaner and Bernat Desclot which were used by the painter to learn about Roger de Flor’s expedition to the Orient in the 14th century. Different episodes of the campaign can be seen, such as Roger de Flor’s offer of help to the Emperor Andronicus, the conquest of Artaki, the Greeks paying the soldiers with false coins, the “desperta ferro”
(Catalan battle cry), the defence of Gallipoli, the two aforementioned chroniclers, King Peter m, the taking of the Acropolis in Athens, the assassination of Roger de Flor, the Catalan vengeance and the triumphant boarding of the ships in the Bosphorus. The ceiling depicts the defence of the tower of Adrianopolis.
The paintings were done in oil on canvas previously covered with gold and silver leaf.

via http://ift.tt/1PcyLtS

L’escala Negra – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

The Black Staircase

So named because of the colour of the marble used to build it. At the top of it is a sculpture by Josep Viladomat, named La bona acolida and a large mural by Miquel Viladrich (1930). The mural depicts people dressed in the traditional costumes of the different areas of Catalonia, typical products from the country and the symbols alluding to the poem Canigó by Jacint Verdaguer, to folk songs and to other motifs associated with Catalonia and its traditions.

via http://bit.ly/1JeQpyE

Capella del Bon Consell – Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

Capilla del Buen Consejo con la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat presidiéndola.

De la Capilla del Buen Consejo, se tiene noticia que la primera fue construida entre los años 1379 y 1408, solo se conserva la puerta y el escudo con las armas del ayuntamiento. En cuanto al interior no se tiene noticia de su decoración pero sí del retablo de la Virgen dels Consellers, que fue encargado el 4 de septiembre de 1443 al pintor valenciano Lluís Dalmau haciendo constar en el contrato que sería:
“De bona fusta de roure de Flandes ben endrapat e enguixat.”
El 27 de noviembre se encargó a Francisco Gomar la ejecución del trabajo de la parte en madera del retablo.
La actual capilla, encargada siendo alcalde de la ciudad José María de Porcioles, está situada al lado del salón de las Crónicas y es de dimensiones muy reducidas. La decoración se encargó al escultor Enric Monjo en el año 1958, inaugurándose en 1966. Preside la capilla la imagen de la Virgen de Montserrat de talla policromada y en su peana el escudo de la ciudad, sobre ella hay un crucifijo de marfil y en el gran plafón central unos grupos de imágenes representando las autoridades y los personajes tradicionales del pueblo, haciendo sus ofrendas a la Virgen. En su parte alta se encuentra el cortejo de los santos barceloneses y mercedarios, como San Olegario, San José Oriol, Santa Eulalia, San Pedro Nolasco y San Raimundo de Peñafort, entre otros. A cada lado se encuentran las cuatro virtudes cardinales, prudencia, justicia, fortaleza y templanza. En las paredes laterales también de alabastro, hay dos grandes retablos, el de la derecha representa la glorificación de la Virgen con devotos a sus pies y unos grandes grupos de ángeles y en el de la pared izquierda, la adoración a Jesús por parte de los reyes magos, pastores etc.
En el techo se aprecia un lucernario con un mosaico que representa el cielo y en su centro la mano de Dios entre las letras alfa y omega a su alrededor hay un conjunto de esculturas en madera de tilo, representando un conjunto de santos y ángeles músicos.

via http://bit.ly/1TkH3Gt

Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

The Barcelona City Hall is perhaps one of the best known buildings in Barcelona because it is the seat of the City Government, but it is also a testimonial of life in the city, and this is possibly its lesser known aspect.
Located in an area where, since the founding of the city at the end of the first century B.C., the first Barcelonese discussed municipal matters in Latin; it was not until the 14th century that the Councillors again chose this site to build a house for their meetings and to decide in Catalan and with complete autonomy, the future of the city.
From medieval times to the present, this Institution has undergone changes and modifications that have affected the city and its citizens. Changes which have been reflected in the building itself. For this reason, the “Casa de la Ciutat” has become a brief compendium of Barcelona’s history and a museum exhibiting within its walls the works of artists of different ages.

via http://bit.ly/1NeDESn

Ajuntament de Barcelona by neobit

The Barcelona City Hall is perhaps one of the best known buildings in Barcelona because it is the seat of the City Government, but it is also a testimonial of life in our city, and this is possibly its lesser known aspect.
Located in an area where, since the founding of the city at the end of the first century B.C., the first Barcelonese discussed municipal matters in Latin; it was not until the 14th century that the Councillors again chose this site to build a house for their meetings and to decide in Catalan and with complete autonomy, the future of the city.
From medieval times to the present, this Institution has undergone changes and modifications that have affected the city and its citizens. Changes which have been reflected in the building itself. For this reason, the “Casa de la Ciutat” has become a brief compendium of Barcelona’s history and a museum exhibiting within its walls the works of artists of different ages.
This itinerary will be useful, as a guide, in order to get to know this City Hall better and to observe and discover rooms, pictures and details which are part of our common heritage.

via http://bit.ly/1IPxSqP