Tag Archives: Питер

Вечерний Петербург. Evening Petersburg. by VladimirKraft

Канал Грибоедова (до 1923 года — Екатерининский канал) — канал в Санкт-Петербурге, берущий начало от реки Мойки у Марсова поля и впадающий в Фонтанку у Мало-Калинкина моста.
Kanal Griboedova (Russian: канал Грибоедова) is a canal in Saint Petersburg, constructed in 1739 on the basis of the existing river Krivusha. In 1764–90, the canal was deepened, and the banks were reinforced and covered with granite.

via http://ift.tt/1MOZjPp

St. Petersburg. Fontanka. by VladimirKraft

Фонтанка — река в Санкт-Петербурге, протока дельты реки Невы, пересекающая центральную часть города. Длина реки — 7,6 км[1], ширина до 70 м, наибольшая глубина до 3,5 м.
Fontanka (Russian: Фонтанка) is a left branch of the river Neva, which flows through the whole of Central Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is 6,700 metres (22,000 ft) long; its width is up to 70 metres (230 ft), and its depth is up to 3.5 metres (11 ft). The Fontanka Embankment is lined with the former private residences of Russian nobility.
Ани́чков мост — один из самых известных мостов Санкт-Петербурга.
Постоянный каменный мост переброшен через Фонтанку по линии Невского проспекта в 1785 году.
Своим названием мост обязан подполковнику-инженеру Михаилу Аничкову, чей батальон во времена Петра Великого дислоцировался за Фонтанкой в так называемой Аничковой слободе.
The Anichkov Bridge (Russian: Аничков мост, Anichkov Most) is the oldest and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The current bridge, built in 1841-42 and reconstructed in 1906-08, combines a simple form with some spectacular decorations. As well as its four famous horse sculptures (1849–50), the bridge has some of the most celebrated ornate iron railings in Saint Petersburg. The structure is mentioned in the works of Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky.

via http://ift.tt/1PxpA9Y

Church of the Savior on Blood by gulich_79

Griboedov channel and Church of the Savior on Blood.Saint Petersburg. Russia
This Church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was severely wounded and died in March 1881. The construction was funded by the imperial family.
Construction began in 1883 during the reign of Alexander III. The church was dedicated to be a memorial to his father, Alexander II.
The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world.

via http://ift.tt/1YMon2D

General Staff Building by gulich_79

The General Staff Building, one of the most famous architectural monuments in Saint Petersburg, was designed by the architect K. I. Rossi and was built between 1820 and 1830. The project revolved around the architect’s idea to unite two separate buildings with a triumphal arch, a monument to Russia’s victory in the war of 1812. This majestic arch is a symbol Russia’s glory and military triumph; it forms a symmetrical axe with the central part of the Winter Palace.
The appearance of the General Staff Building possesses a certain strictness and laconicism. The lower level is interpreted as a rustic basement, while the walls of the upper two floors are smooth. Modest cornices and architraves surround the windows of the third floor (the Parade floor). The smooth walls clearly emphasize the raised frieze, and three Corinthian porticos break up the 580m length of the building.
The eastern wing of the General Staff Building originally housed the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and several other ministries of the Russian Empire. From 1917, different institutions and organisations occupied the building including People’s Commissariat for Foreign Affairs; the General Staff was located in the western wing, but nowadays it is the headquarters of the Western Military District.
When the grandiose reconstruction of the General Staff Building is completed, the collections of Russian and European decorative art, paintings and sculptures from the 19th and 20th centuries, as well as contemporary art will be displayed there. The exhibition will include the renovated historical interiors of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Empire and the personal apartments of the Chancellor Count Karl Nesselrode.

via http://bit.ly/1PU6Y1J

Saint Isaac’s Cathedral by gulich_79

Saint Isaac’s Cathedral in Saint Petersburg, Russia is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in the city. It is the largest orthodox basilica and the fourth largest cathedral in the world.
The cathedral took 40 years to construct, under Montferrand’s direction, from 1818 to 1858.
The cathedral’s main dome rises 101.5 metres (333 ft) and is plated with pure gold.

via http://ift.tt/1DauCpd