Delos was one of the most sacred places of ancient Greece, and one of the most robust trade centers as well.
The Theatre built originally of marble and completed in 250 BCE, the theatre was massive, equipped for nearly 7.000 visitors. Although it abandoned in 88 BCE, following an invasion of the island by Mithridates VI of Pontus (r. 120-63 BCE) during the The First Mithridatic War (89-85 BCE), it has long been admired and even imitated.
Delos was in Antiquity famous for its historical cult of Delion Apollon exercised there and from the excavations, the houses, the cobbled streets, temples and public buildings that have survived give us a unique picture of the ancient Greek city as a whole .
Rocky and barren island located between the islands of Mykonos and Rhenia length 5 km and a width of 1300 meters. The highest elevation is the granite mountain Kythnos, who at the foot of the ancient city of Delos was that the excavations have brought to light throughout.
Mythology says that manifested (declared) with a blow of the trident of Neptune on the sea surface and was sailing for a long time, until Zeus anchored to the seabed by a diamond chain to refuge there Leto and lay down a palm two divine children, Artemis and Apollo first after.
Temple of Demetra in Gyroulas (Sagri)
It is located a few km after Sagri while you will also see a road sign on your left shortly before entering the village. The region is called Gyroulas and the temple, which is dedicated to the goddess Demetra, is one of the most important ancient buildings of Naxos. Built between 530 and 520 B.C and entirely made of white marble, this temple dominates over a rise of a fertile valley. It faces the sea as well as Zas Mountain. In the 6th century the ancient sanctuary was turned into a Christian basilica church.
Portara is the huge marble gate of a temple started to be built in the 6th b.c century in honor of the god Apollo on the island of Naxos. Stands majestic islet “palaces” or island of Bacchus is said differently in the left side of the port of Naxos. According to mythology, this island Theseus abandoned Ariadne and from here the kidnapped Dionysus with his entourage. The island until 1919 was not linked to Naxos, years which built the stalk that connects it to the rest of the island.
After the Persian Wars the island became the natural meeting-ground for the Delian League, founded in 478 BC, the congresses being held in the temple (a separate quarter was reserved for foreigners and the sanctuaries of foreign deities.) The League’s common treasury was kept here as well until 454 BC when Pericles removed it to Athens.
The island had no productive capacity for food, fiber, or timber, with such being imported. Limited water was exploited with an extensive cistern and aqueduct system, wells, and sanitary drains. Various regions operated agoras (markets).